Two Neocons Solving the Worlds Problems

Friday, October 15, 2004

Another Calculated Error

In last Wednesday's Presidential debate both candidates were asked the following the question:

Both of you are opposed to gay marriage. But to understand how you have come to
that conclusion, I want to ask you a more basic question. Do you believe
homosexuality is a choice?

The President responded with a decently open and honest response. Money quote:
You know, Bob, I don't know. I just don't know. I do know that we have a choice
to make in America and that is to treat people with tolerance and respect and
dignity. It's important that we do that.
And I also know in a free society
people, consenting adults can live the way they want to live.
And that's to
be honored.
But as we respect someone's rights, and as we profess tolerance,
we shouldn't change -- or have to change -- our basic views on the sanctity of
marriage. I believe in the sanctity of marriage. I think it's very important
that we protect marriage as an institution, between a man and a woman.

When asked to respond, Kerry chose to do THIS:
We're all God's children, Bob. And I think if you were to talk to Dick Cheney's
daughter, who is a lesbian, she would tell you that she's being who she was,
she's being who she was born as.
In defense of the candidate he probably had no idea what a colossal mistake this was, but as a man with any form of integrity, he should have stayed await from nonetheless. Instead, Kerry took the cheap shot, echoing what his running mate said in the vice-presidential debate:
Now, as to this question, let me say first that I think the vice president and
his wife love their daughter. I think they love her very much. And you can't
have anything but respect for the fact that they're willing to talk about the
fact that they have a gay daughter, the fact that they embrace her. It's a
wonderful thing. And there are millions of parents like that who love their
children, who want their children to be happy.
Yet, again the reference to Mary Cheney is unmistakable. I've come to believe that the Kerry campaign thought they could use this reference to somehow dig at the Bush base. The unhappy result for them, however, is that it has absolutely eroded into a full-blown controversy. Here are some links to bring you to speed. Wash Times on Kerry's failure to apologize, Wash Post poll on voter response to the comment, NewsDay story on Cheney's response.

I don't where all of this will lead. I'll predict this: the MSM will continue to spin this one toward the Kerry side, with the Cheney's being TOO outraged. Meanwhile, I think the damage is done to Kerry's image with women and young undecideds especially. An evening talk with my mom a Dem. made that clear. No matter what Kerry says from this moment on, people will remember this sly stab at his opponent's child and the electorate takes those trangressions more heavily than the media want to admit.

1 Comments:

Blogger Beyond Words said...

I hope you're right.

If Kerry wins, it's because a) God wants to turn the unbelievers over to their own desires, as Paul would say or b) He wants to give W. a break from all this.

October 17, 2004 at 7:07 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home